Thursday, July 12, 2012

The Humble Frittata

Last weekend my husband and I were invited to camp with my sister, her college roommates and their families. This annual camping trip is a tradition, and I knew that a major aspect of these trips is food -- each couple/family is assigned one meal, and the unspoken rules were that thought should go into that meal. There were still murmurs about how last year Robin shirked her duties by presenting a cereal buffet for breakfast one morning!

Naturally, I was concerned. If I failed with our assigned meal -- breakfast it turns out -- would we ever be invited back? Finally, I decided on frittatas. I could make them ahead of time and heat them up before serving them.

I've always loved frittatas. They're the perfect I'm-out-of-food-what-should-I-have-for-dinner dish. As long as you have eggs and herbs, you can't go wrong. You're luckier still if you have some parmesan to mix in with the eggs and a couple bowls of greens to serve on the side.

Because I was feeling ambitious, I went to the store and bought pretty much everything I could get my hands on, so that there were basil, mozzarella and sun-dried tomato frittatas, chicken sausage and mushroom frittatas ... you get the idea. In the end I spent 6 hours in my kitchen on Friday making 8 frittatas (4 kinds, 2 each).

I have to say it -- the frittatas were a hit. Even with the kids, who we brought bagels for, just in case. They really are a perfect meal, in and of themselves. Simple, hearty, fresh and complete. As for my favorite, I loved the potato, caramelized shallot and white bean frittata, which I think is best served cold. Following is my recipe for this rustic dish.


Potato, Caramelized Onion & White Bean Frittata

Makes 2 frittatas

Ingredients:

  • 12 eggs
  • 1 lb. baby potatoes
  • 2 shallots (thinly sliced into half rounds)
  • 1 can white beans (I like S&W brand)
  • 1-2 Tbsp Rosemary (minced)
  • A Tbsp or 2 of parmesan to taste
  • Salt & pepper to taste
  • 1-2 tsp olive oil
  • Olive oil spray

Directions:

1) Boil the potatoes, making sure they remain firm
2) Meanwhile, caramelize the shallots in olive oil over medium-low heat
3) Meanwhile, in a bowl, mix eggs, rosemary, parmesan and salt and pepper
4) Once potatoes have cooled, slice into coins (no need to peel)
5) Add potatoes, shallots and white beans to eggs
6) Lightly spray 10-inch frying pan (I like my Analon brand because it's heavy and nonstick) and heat it on the burner on medium-low heat.
7) Add half the egg mixture and cover
8) Let the eggs cook until they are brown and crispy on the bottom and the center is nearly done (this can take around 15 minutes or more)
9) Flip the frittata over and get it brown and crispy on the opposite side
10) Ease the frittata onto a plate and repeat with the rest of the egg mixture

The frittatas will keep for a few days in the fridge and definitely get better as the days pass.


2 comments:

Janet Brown said...

After being wistful about missing you here, I came out of nostalgia and there you were. With a husband and several dozen eggs! Love this and hope there will be more soon.

Kim said...

Thank you, Janet. I'm going to do my best to post recipes weekly ... Love you!