Roast Pepper, Tomato and Apple Salad
from Arabesque, by Claudia Roden
- 3 fleshy red bell peppers
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced
- 3-4 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 lb. tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 or 2 chili peppers, left whole
- salt and pepper
- 2 sweet apples (such as Golden Delicious)
1) Place the peppers on a sheet of foil on an oven tray under a preheated broiler, 2-1/2 to 3-1/2 inches from the broiler. Turn them until their skins are black and blistered all over. When the peppers are cool enough to handle, peel them and remove and discard the stems and seeds. Now cut the peppers lengthwise into ribbons.
2) In a wide pan, fry the onions in 2 tablespoons of olive oil over a medium heat, stirring until they are lightly colored. Add the garlic and stir until it just begins to color, then add the tomatoes and chili peppers. Season with salt and pepper and cook gently for about 15-20 minutes.
3) Leaving the peel on, quarter and core the apples. (Our apples were big, so we cut them into eighths.) Stir the red pepper ribbons into the onion mixture. Then put in the apple quarters, cut side down. Cook gently until the apples are tender, adding a little water if the pan becomes too dry. Turn the apples skin side down toward the end.
Serve cold, drizzled with the remaining olive oil.